Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pine Wood Derby

Tyler had his first Cub Scout Pinewood Derby the Saturday before Kevin's birthday.  Adam was out of town, so Grandma Thimmesch and I got the fun of going for the two hours it lasted.  He had a dad in his den help him cut his car at a workshop, and then he worked really hard to paint it himself.  His car was Harry Potter versus Voldemort, which is pretty much perfect since he has become obsessed with Harry Potter.

He was pretty excited to go the day of, but after registration the night before he was upset and worried.  Looking at everyone else's cars and hearing that his was underweight (and I didn't know what to do to fix it) he felt as if he would have the worst car ever.

Thankfully, the day of he was full of excitement and once there was super excited to be with his friends.  His car managed six different rounds and placed anywhere from 3rd to 6th in each round.  We were very shocked and he was very excited that he wasn't always last.  After the race when he got his car back we discovered that someone had glued quarters to the bottom of his car!!

He was super shocked and I couldn't have been more grateful to whatever kind soul did this.  I tried asking around but no one would fess up, so I couldn't thank the awesome person that helped give our son such a great first experience.  Hopefully word got back to them about how much fun Tyler had and how much we appreciated their kindness!

Tyler and Kevin were pretty much on their own for the two hours.  There are no pictures of Kevin because once he was allowed to sit with the cub scouts and watch the races close up, he never moved.  Jacob ran around and hence some silly pictures as Grandma and I worked to keep him entertained.





















No comments: